Making a picture frame with hand planes

22 Sep

I poked around the internet to find information on how to make a picture frame with hand tools.  So except for some information that Shannon Roger provided in his Hand Tool School, I wasn’t really able to find anything.  Everyone seems to be making frame with powered routers.  Que post.

Here’s the final product with Boiled Linseed Oil finish.

I used my newly sharpened mitre box saw to cut mitres (thanks Matt Cianci)  and my excellent picture frame shooting board (thanks Rob Hanson) for this frame.  More pictures below the fold.

11 Responses to “Making a picture frame with hand planes”

1. Glenn September 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

The miters look very tight. I always struggle with miters. Great job!

• Marilyn September 22, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Thanks! Between the mitre box saw and my 45 degree shooting board, it really wasn’t too bad. It kinda surprised me.

2. The Lighthearted Woodworker September 23, 2012 at 6:35 am #

I have about 4 frame projects on the list. One of them started and scrapped! Like you said, I could use a smaller sized project in my little shop. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Marilyn September 23, 2012 at 8:48 am #

Thanks! Yeah for small projects that you can finish in a weekend! I’m with you, must do more of those.

3. joecrafted September 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Marilyn, if Matt Bickford ever makes out your way, the project in his 2 day molding planes class is a picture frame, my class report for that project: http://joecrafted.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/day-2-molding-planes/. I didn’t detail everything on my blog, but I do plan to make a few more for Christmas presents, maybe I can put together a more detailed posting, including cutting the rabbet for the frame, which normally would be the first thing to do when making them w/hollows and rounds.

• Marilyn September 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Matt is going to be at the Port Townsend School of Woodworking next year. I’d be signed up already, but registration is available yet. :o) I have his book too. I plan to do a lot more of this and am grateful for your site (I’d actually seen it on my reader and forgotten about it). I plan on additional posts as well. It a fun small project and the step by step should be too hard to describe.

So much to learn .. so little time.

4. thekiltedwoodworker September 27, 2012 at 10:17 am #

*le sigh*

Supremely jealous of your curly apple tote.

(Oh, and nice frames!)

• Marilyn September 27, 2012 at 10:22 am #

I know! It’s very cool isn’t it.

Don’t know if you saw the before picture (under the mitre project tab), but it was covered in dirt and I had no idea. what was under it. I was doing a light sanding and wondering what the marks were that were persisting so I rubbed some mineral spirits on it and, as Gomer used to say .. surprise, surprise!

• thekiltedwoodworker September 27, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Matt said that was highly unusual to find such a thing (Yeah, I talked to your saw doctor about your saw. No HIPA stopping me here!) and that he remembered your restore well.

I’ll have to go look at my old Disston miter saw tonight and see if it is covered in grime, too. :)

• Marilyn September 27, 2012 at 10:28 am #

LOL! Happy finding!

5. Dania Lopez April 4, 2014 at 11:56 pm #

Greetings! Very helρful writting about picture framing . It is the little changes that ρroduce tɦe largest ϲhanges.
    Many tɦanks for ѕharing!