I finished up all the details on the cabinet and started finishing. Yipppeee! After lots of edge softening, sanding and other detail work, I started with a base coat of shellac.
That resawn panel again.
Opps! ran out of shellac .. and time.
More progress today. I forgot to photograph the cutting out of the lid. I used a hand saw to make the cross cuts and my track saw to do the long rip. Tomorrow I start finishing!
After fitting the false drawer fronts, they were glued in the frames.
Then I installed the hinges for the second lid.
Second lid ready for attaching.
One of the last thing is to make false for the 2nd top section on the TV Lift Cabinet. It’s pretty straight forward but fun to do.
Top cabinet section.
False drawer fronts made of 1/4 sawn cherry.
I’ve finally gotten my computer situation worked out which means .. hopefully .. more blog posts. I’ve been working away on the TV Lift Cabinet and making progress. The end is in sight and I’m very excited to finish this project up.
Bevel on the underside of the second top.
Here’s a quick blow by blow.
Locate the hinges on the inside of the face frame.
Transfer lines to the door.
Bring the lines around the front of the door to locate the jig.
Install the hinge base using the center line on the hinge.
Install the bracket.
Use the lines on the door to locate the jig.
Drill out the waste.
Install the hinge cups.
Trim the door to fit using hand planes. Use card scrapers to create uniform space at the bottom and top of the door.
Today I worked on my resawn panels, cleaned them up and put the panels into the frame. AND THEN .. I installed one set of the hinges. I’ve never installed “euro hinges”, so I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. Check out the video at the end to see how I did.
I’ll post more tomorrow on how I did the hinge installation on the second door.
Panel after clean up.
Fitting panel into door frame.
Fitting test piece for hinges.
Fitting the door to the opening.
I got a chance to take my Robou saw out for a ride. First I tried it out on a couple of practice boards. The first step was to use my kerfing plane to create a nice deep kerf for the saw to track in.
The saw takes some getting used to and it worked best for the board to be in the vise at the side of the workbench instead of the end of the bench. Sawing will push the bench around if there isn’t enough weight.
After a couple of practice runs, I was able to saw the panel for the door in half. Its beautiful cherry panel and I can’t wait to see it in the door. And the resaw was way less stressful than doing it on the bandsaw.
I kerfed a practice board.
The saw took some time to figure out.
And now for the door panel.
Resaw in progress.
And the final product.