Ok, who has their workbench against the wall and likes it??

I used to have my workbench away from the wall in the middle of the garage.  On the recommendation of Mr. Schwarz and in need of space to put things together, I moved my workbench next to the wall under the tool hanging cabinet.

I gotta say, I’m not really lovin’ it there.  The tool cabinet for my hand tools that I’m working on now is wider than my bench and sleppin’ the workbench around to be able to work on it is turning out to be kind of a pain.  Going on the back side, I end up getting hung up in the hanging tools.

I need to do so more work on the shop.  Shrink the outfeed table, move the bike to the back yard shed (after I build it), come up with a new sharpen station since the new cabinet will block the current location.  But if I leave the workbench against the wall, this will be a long term thing.

Perhaps my floor is also part of the problem.  Little rubber mats are getting in the way of moving the bench and end up being a trip hazard when they get scrunched up by the bench.

Thoughts?

This entry was posted in workbench. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Ok, who has their workbench against the wall and likes it??

1. I have mine against a wall (actually in front of a Window'd door). It's ok but in order to move it to the middle of the floor, I'd have to go the next step in a commitment to hand tools and get rid of my router table and band saw. I may do that someday but I'm not quite ready.

2. Dyami says:

Mine isn't quite against a wall, it's against the end of some shelving. It has the same affect, though. I'm in a narrow 1 car garage, so my bench will be against something until my shop grows. If I had the room, I would definitely pull the bench out. Assuming that you can, I'd say you should pull yours out too.

3. joel says:

All our workbenches are up against windows for window light. I used to have my bench up against a wall with my tool chest off to the left. Staring at a blank wall is boring and occasionally I would bang a saw or something against it. I would not like to have to reach across a bench to get to my tools. Currently my bench is about 6 feet from a bank of windows – but that's because I need photography space. – up against a window would be fine – I don't think I would go up against a bare wall again unless I had to, and I would never put my tools on the other side of the bench. of course for every opinion such as mine there has got to be one opposite – it's what you are used to and how you are trained.

4. Brian says:

In the old shop, the bench was against the wall and it wasn't a bad location because there was a window there. In the new one, the tools are on the near wall, so I'm keeping the bench away from it so that I have better access to them (I don't want to have to lean over to grab anything there).Even though keeping it away makes space even more constrained in an already-small shop, it's still workable.

5. Tom Buhl says:

Early on I built a garden shed for my wife's tools, seeds and garden treasures. She loves it and that gave me a bit more space for woodworking. But where did that extra bonus space go? Disappeared I guess.

6. Bob Easton says:

Mine is against a wall, taking advantage of a window. Your problem is those gorgeous tool cabinets being in the way. Since they're the problem, send 'em to me. I'll find room for them.

7. RJB says:

I've worked on workbenches both ways. For me I prefer to have 360 access around my bench. Against a wall you are limited to the depth of the workbench in regards to the work you can put on it. Not against the wall, what you work can overhang 360 w/o restrictions. As for being close to your tools – once it's home you will find a solution to having your tools at hand.

8. Darnell says:

Mine's away from the wall. I feel weird having my back to the room. Perhaps I have trust issues.

9. Shannon says:

If you look at some of my earlier videos you'll see the bench against the wall under the window. I moved it into the middle of the shop primarily for getting the beck camera angle. Now I wouldn't go back. I work all the way around the bench all the time now. At any given moment I'll have a bench hook set up on both sides of the bench and using both the leg vise and sliding vise on the back side. I'm probably too much a victim of ADD but I couldn't be happier with the bench where it is.

10. Steve Branam says:

I have mine away from the wall, with my tool wall two steps to the right of it. That allows me to walk all the way around the bench to get access, and my tools are just a quick step over. I don't have to reach over or around anything, so I'm better at putting them back right away.

11. I used to have mine against the wall too. Frankly, I didn't realize how "cramped" that felt until I tried moving it away. Now I don't really even use the bench from the back side, but it just feels better to have some breathing room back there.

12. Wow! Thanks everyone so much for the input. Love all the advice and experience.So! .. I agree with you Dyami, Joel and others. Away from the wall is better. Reaching over the bench to get my tools – dislike. I'm starting to think Mr. Schwarz has a 10 foot long arms. I don't, therefore, tools on the other side of the bench are a pain in the lower back. Steve – my space just isn't that big so taking a few steps to get a tool is fine too. Shannon, I did notice your's in the middle of you shop which is what got me thinking.Darnell .. I totally get the weird feeling.Bob – heh! I tried that trick with Kari Hultman and offered to take her planes for her. It didn't work on her either. Thanks so much for the compliments. :o)Marc – absolutely right – cramped is the word especially since my current location is in an indented location making getting to the ends tight. The bench is going back to the center of the garage.

13. Ideally, I think I'd have my workbench in a central position to the workshop, as it allows you to get at it from all sides. Many people seem to regard the table saw as the 'heart' of a workshop but, for me, I think it should be the workbench (I should point out that I'm no hand-tool ludite, by any means!! ;-)).My workshop's very narrow so, I'm stuck with having it against one of the longer walls. I used to have it against one of the shorter end walls but, that was highly uncomfortable and cramped, even if it was situated in front of the window.How do people with their benches up against a wall prevent tools from rolling off the back? That's always been a problem for me.

14. I'm with you. Nice blog by the way, I added to my list on my reader. Thanks for the input! :o)

15. Pingback: Doh! Shop Space epiphany! | She Works Wood