Bathing in the warm glow (smell) of hide glue ;o)

I’ve been working on the interior frame pieces for the desk cabinet.  So lots more fiddling and fitting.  Last night I glued up the fitted frames and hope to get the interior frames in today or tomorrow..

This entry was posted in desk and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Bathing in the warm glow (smell) of hide glue ;o)

Great to see this going together!

Why liquid hide glue? I’ve never used any kind of hide glue, although I’m curious about it. Reversing glue joints isn’t high on my list, but I’ve read comments about it not showing under a finish in the same way white/yellow glues do (big plus for that). I’m eager to try hammer veneering with hide glue someday too.

I’m using hide glue because of the long working time and the reduced worries regarding impacts to the finish. The cabinet is pretty complicated glue up and felt certain that I would need the extra time.

• joemcglynn says:

Thanks, that makes sense of course. I’ll have to try some, I had both of those problems on the tool chest I made for my brother-in-law.

Oh yeah! I bet with all those dovetails. I keep my bottle in the frig so it’ll last longer and just try to put it in warm water or on the low setting on the heater before I need it.

2. Chris P. says:

Is it easier to remove once dried as opposed to a PVA glue? I’ve hearing about all of the benefits of hide glue and I’m giving serious thought to making the switch.

I found it easy to scrap off the surface and wiping excess away with water is very easy. It also tacks up pretty quickly.

I have a heat gun (for removing old paint) and if I needed to pull a joint apart, I’d use that. This guy does a nice demonstration. However, if its a joint that has been glued for a while, I’m betting it will be tougher than what he shows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGWyvMgRAXQ

• Chris P. says:

Awesome thanks for the link, I’m gonna be starting on my tool cabinet soon and i think I’m going to give this hide glue thing a try.