Handworks 2013

27 May

So I made it back from Amana, IA last night.  I got through the trip mostly unscathed although my tool fund is now officially empty.  I know a lot of folks wanted to go and couldn’t for many reasons.  So I thought I’d share my photos to give you an idea of what went on.

Below are a couple of photo galleries of the town, the event and, of course, peeks of the Studley tool box presentation with short captions. That’s me just off Narayan Nayar’s right shoulder.

studley_presentation_img_5998

Update: Roubo, Studley & Handworks

Some shots from the town

The crowd and some of the tools (Sneak peek at new Veritas Tools included)

Links to some of the tool makers I mentioned above:

Tico Vogt

Scott Meeks

Lee Valley

Mike Siemsen’s School of Woodworking

The Presentation (warning: there are naked chest pictures)

All photos taken by Chris Schwarz, Don Williams and Narayan Nayar.

More information here:

Update: Roubo, Studley & Handworks

My favorite story from the presentation was given in response to the question, “would you build a tool chest like this?”  Response:  We took all the tools out the chest and figured it’s take 1/2 an hour to get them back in.  Four hours later, we were done.

I really enjoyed this event and hopefully there will be a repeat.  If so, I’m guessing they’ll have to find a bigger place.  And, hopefully, everyone who really wanted to be there .. can come.

Me at the Lost Art Press Table

A Youtube on the chest

Other Links:

Benchcraft – http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/2013/02/handworks-and-amana-experience.html

Lie Nielsen – https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151440378143016.1073741846.100708343015&type=1

Tool for Woodworking – http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/537/title/Handworks%202013%20Followup,%20My%20New%20Backpack,%20and%20One%20Person%20Can%20Make%20a%20Big%20Difference

calipers (1 of 1)

16 Responses to “Handworks 2013”

1. Dyami May 27, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

Looks like you had a blast. I wish I could have made it. Alas, this year I can only make half of the big conferences. Hopefully they will have another That more can attend.

• Marilyn May 27, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

I did. But that’s the only conference I’m going to this year. 😦

• Tico Vogt May 27, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

Marilyn, thanks for the pictures. How about next time you stop over and introduce yourself so we can hang out a bit?

• Marilyn May 27, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Will do!!

2. joemcglynn May 28, 2013 at 6:03 am #

Looks like it was a great time Marilyn!

3. Mike Lingenfelter May 28, 2013 at 8:59 am #

Very cool! I hope they have it again, so I can make it this time! I can’t make it to WIA either this year :(, So I’m feeling bummed I’m missing all of the fun this year!

Mike

4. nick May 28, 2013 at 9:01 am #

looks like a great time!
    What were the new Veritas tools?!!

• Marilyn May 28, 2013 at 10:12 am #

Their new shooting board plane (still in plastic), a couple of very cool hold downs, some wide paring chisels, a very narrow one and a chisel plane. Pictured here:https://sheworkswood.com/2013/05/27/handworks-2013/sneak-peek-veritas/

• nick May 28, 2013 at 10:17 am #

Very Cool – BTW whats that silver one right at the front?

• Marilyn May 28, 2013 at 10:19 am #

That’s the new hold down. It has a lever on top to loosen it up. I’m buying one as soon as its out.

• nick May 28, 2013 at 10:22 am #

cool – gotta say though that the Gramercy tools ones have almost completely replaced my old LV one!

• Marilyn May 28, 2013 at 10:23 am #

Gramercy ones are awesome as well, I agree.

5. tombuhlBuhl May 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

Marilyn, thanks for sharing. Looks like an awesome event. Sorry you won’t be at WIA this year, but we’ll always have WIA Pasadena 2012.

6. Marlon May 31, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

Hi Marilyn,
    I remember seeing you there. I just didn’t realize it was you. I would have told you I enjoy your blog. Well I guess I just did. 🙂

Marlon from West Monroe, LA

• Marilyn May 31, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Dang! I’m sorry I missed you. I thought I was the only one that journeyed from West Coast.

Thanks so much for the compliments. I actually had a terrible cold and was running back to the room to recuperate. So I didn’t get a chance to socialize like I had hoped.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks