What do you think? – Part 2

Here a a couple of more shots and options.  Which width of the moulding looks best? I used my trial moulding (made of alder) and ripped it to 1 3/4″ and then to 1 1/2″.  The feet are 5″ high so the 1 1/2″ is one third of that.

moulding on chest P2 1 (1 of 1)

2″ Moulding

moulding on chest P2 2 (1 of 1)

2″ Moulding From Above

1 3-4  moulding on chest P2  (1 of 1)

1 3/4″ Moulding

1-2 moulding on chest P2  (1 of 1)

1 1/2″ moulding

Here are a couple of more shot of the 1 1/2″

I kinda like the 1 1/2″.  What about you?

This entry was posted in six board chest and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to What do you think? – Part 2

1. R.Lindh says:

Hi,……..1 1/2 looks better!!

2. woodchippie says:

I think that 1-1/2″ looks better to the eye. Always trust your eyes.

maybe even less than 1-1/2. Of course, I am not very partial to moldings at this phase of my design play.

I also do not think you can make this decision without the context of the top treatment. At this point, the molding is too strong of a focal point, even when trying to allow for unfinished aspect of the sample material. Typically, I believe we want the molding to have a transition quality, though it does effect perceptions of proportions.

Hmmm .. good point. I can easily put the top on, but I need to do the moulding on the edge of the lid first.

In this case, the moulding is covering up ugly seams so it’s necessary.

So, I’ll work on the lid and add that to see how it looks.

4. Boy, this is a tough one. And design is not my strong suit. I really like the top picture, with the view from above, and that is with the wider moulding. But the lower pictures also look good, and I agree that keeping it proportional is wise. I’m not sure if you can really go wrong here. To me anyway.

Pete

I’m in the 1 1/2″ camp. Just for discussion, can you do a 1 1/4″? Sometimes going too far is the best way to to find the right proportions.

By the way, this looks *amazing*. I hope you’re not planning on painting it.

Yeah! I thought I’d do that too ( 1 1/4″) when I add the top with it’s moulded edge.

NO WAY am I painting this. I worked way too hard on those surfaces to do that.

I’ve got some serious marine varnish that’s going on this puppy over a nice shellac.

6. woodchippie says:

Marine varnish would be excellent.

7. Have you though of asking George Walker what the traditional ratio is for these moludings?

8. JMAW Works says:

I like it thinner. Another option to “thin” it more would be to put a cove or other similar molding toward the bottom edge. It might also soften the sharp lower arris since I believe your bracket feet are in the same plane as the sides (vs applied later as separate pieces)

9. Rick says:

11/2 looks good. Hope all is well.

10. DonnaR says:

I agree with the above comments pertaining to the overall perspective . It difficult to evaluate the bottom moulding alone without viewing its relationship to the overall project.
    That being said, that is a spectacular piece of wood!

11. I’m going to go with 2″, just to keep you thinking about it. 😉

12. Tom Buhl says:

I was missing the point of the molding (or at least a key point). After seeing CS’s recent blue-painted board chest blog post, I now see that the molding gives the look of a base or plinth to a board chest. In that light I might vote for wider than I was previously thinking. The molding is more than a transition element. Rock on, my friend.