I added the final details to the chest. It didn’t take as long as it might have appeared. The chest really came together quite quickly, but work really got in the way of this project. If I had used Home Depot pre-milled lumber instead of wide rough popular the project would have been very fast.
One of my favorite details are the hinges. They went in really easily and I thoroughly enjoyed doing business with John Switzer over at Blackbear Forge. My only regret was that I didn’t take pictures because I squeezed the installation in here and there.
I also used nails instead of screws for the joinery and the handles (more cinched nails). But the hinges are screwed as well as the chisel rack. I also made some of the dividers adjustable. The moulding was cut by hand using my newly acquired moulding skills from Mr. Bickford and my really awesome moulding planes from Philly Planes.
I decided against the saw till under the lid because my most used saw didn’t fit without complicated angles and spacing to avoid the tools below. I might put one in later. I’m really happy to have all those tools under cover.
Here are the rest of the details.
Chest dimensions: 27″ long x 25 1/4″ high x 16 1/4″ wide
Weight empty and loaded: 41 lbs and 105 lbs
Hardware: Blackbear Forge
Milk Paint Finish with Boiled Linseed oil on top.
See all the posts associated with this project here: Dutch Tool Chest
For a closer look at any of the pictures, right click and open in a new tab.