In Ernest’s set of tools there was sweet 8″ brace that needed a little TLC.
First I had to figure out how to get the ratchet apart so I could get the gunck out and grease the parts for good working. Wiktor Kuc helped me figure out that I need to tap the pin out in between the ratchet teeth. Once I did that, I could go into the mechanism, clean it out and pack it with grease.
After some scrubbing, look what I found.
Then I took the upper part of the brace to the wire brush wheel the grinder, removed the crud and cleaned it up after with some metal polish.
I also sanded the wooden handle which lightened it up significantly. I left the pad alone so the contrast looked kinda silly. I mixed up some boil linseed oil and some black dye. And this is how it turned out.
Here is the metal polish I used: