In Ernest’s set of tools there was sweet 8″ brace that needed a little TLC.
First I had to figure out how to get the ratchet apart so I could get the gunck out and grease the parts for good working. Wiktor Kuc helped me figure out that I need to tap the pin out in between the ratchet teeth. Once I did that, I could go into the mechanism, clean it out and pack it with grease.
Knocking out the pin.
Pulling out the ratchet and threaded head.
Spring inside jaws ready for grease.
After some scrubbing, look what I found.
Then I took the upper part of the brace to the wire brush wheel the grinder, removed the crud and cleaned it up after with some metal polish.
I also sanded the wooden handle which lightened it up significantly. I left the pad alone so the contrast looked kinda silly. I mixed up some boil linseed oil and some black dye. And this is how it turned out.
One of my braces has pretty crappy wood on the pad and the little screws have pulled out. The only thing really holding the pad on is the threads inside the pad. So I went to my favorite hardware store,Hardwicks, and asked about a fix.
The answer .. a tooth pick. Really? Ok, maybe a really thin dowel that you put into the holes and reintroduce the screw into the replaced wood.
The hardest part of the whole thing was restarting the screws. Hopefully the picture demonstrates.
One screw went flying into the ether so I pulled out my giant magnet that I originally purchased to clean up after the remodel contractor. If you’re cat swallows anything metal, it’ll pick him up .. no problem. ;o)
So I was away from my sharpening station and found that I had some time on my hands so I set up a make shift sharpening station. I had some of my sharpening stuff with me but not all of it. I ground new primary bevels with my Tormek on my chisels. Then with some sand paper and spray adhesive, I flattened my stones,made tiny little secondary bevels.
In the meantime, I found this cute little brace at the flea market store for $ 12. I’ll have clean off the rust to figure out the brand name stamped on it. Its nothing fancy, but just the right size for me.
In the meantime, my front fence gate sits waiting for me to get off my but and finish it.