I got a chance to frame my finished carving. Here’s how I did it.
Well, using it after its all cleaned up and ready to go of course!
So that’s just what I did today. Ernest and I ( 😉 ) went to work on the picture frame that I started before the giant tool score. Its very fun to use a tool that I not only rehabbed, but that I know the story behind. This particular Stanley No. 4 is a late 1800 early 1900 version. Its so old that the blade adjuster turns in the opposite direction that typical Stanleys and for that matter, pretty much every other plane does. If nothing else, it will remind me how old the plane is every time I use it.
Here’s a couple of pictures of Ernest’s old plane in action.
I bought a nice 8′ piece of quarter sawn Sapele to make picture frames. I ripped it and put it on the shooting board to cut the rabbet for the picture to fit in. I had to clamp in down to cut the rabbet and when I un-clamped it, check out what happened.
I’ll cut this into shorter sections to make the frame, but I’m not sure if that’s going to help. Sigh …