The top .. after the first coat.

This top and it’s quarter sawn wood gave me fits with, as you can imagine, tear out.  I can’t say that I’m really very happy with it, but it’ll have to do.

I’m sure you know the situation.  As a maker of the top, all you tend to see is the mistakes.  There’s tear out, a tiny gap I had to fill and some plane tracks.  And after a lot of attempts to fit all of that, I wasn’t able to get them all out.

I wet sanded this first coat of Pro Fin and the top looks better than I thought it would, but I can still see the imperfections.  Chalk it up to a good learning experience.

If I had to do it over again, I’d use some nice old cherry or just oil the 1/4 sawn instead of trying to finish it.

This entry was posted in desk, finish, mistakes. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The top .. after the first coat.

1. billlattpa says:

The top looks great. I have to be honest and say that I don’t mind the mistakes when I make something, not in the joinery sense but on something like planing a top. Other than plane tracks, which I admittedly don’t care for, the little dings and dents don’t bug me too much, they look real. Every time I see a table with a perfectly smooth top I think of a factory veneer job, and sometimes I just get jealous 🙂

2. Alex Moseley says:

Nothing to apologize for as far as I can see. The grain matched up well, giving the top a nice graphic quality. Well done!

3. sablebadger says:

I think the grain pattern looks great.

4. I think your being to hard on yourself, typical of woodworkers. I don’t think other people’s eye’s will leap to the anomolies like yours are, unless you provide them with a map to them. The top looks beautiful.

Thanks all. I am disappointed with the top. In an effort not to focus on the flaws, I didn’t really photograph the them. Mostly I feel disappointment because its such beautiful wood and I fell like I didn’t do it justice with my preparation.

But thanks for the kind words. Once again, my tastes and my skills haven’t yet coalesced. 🙂

• joemcglynn says:

I think everyone that makes things with their hands sees their imperfections first. That’s natural, you’re focussing on doing the absolute best work you can and watching for (and correcting) imperfections is part of the game.

At the same time, you’re learning about how to correct mistakes, and how to avoid them in the future.

Over time you’ll be able to appreciate the top and not worry about the the problems I think, but I know exactly how you feel. I get caught up in that myself, and make plenty of mistakes. But think too about all of the things that you did *right* on the top. Matching the grain, fitting the boards so that there aren’t big gaps, keeping the top flat and square, fixing all of the problems that cropped up along the way…

Yes, I tend to forget the things I do right and what I’ve accomplished (that’s why I have a blog 😉 ). Thanks for the encouragement and the shared experience. It’s always really appreciated.

I’ve got another coat on the top and its lookin’ a little better. AND .. I started workin’ on my curly cherry panel doors. So I’m back to having fun. I think I’m over it .. mostly .. if I don’t look at the top too close. 😀