Six board chest glamour shots

From above.

From above.

Wood: Sapele – Hardwood to Go

Preparation: Top is sanded to 320, all other surfaces are hand planed / scraped.

Finish: Watco Teak Oil

finish (1 of 1)

This entry was posted in finish, moulding, six board chest and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Six board chest glamour shots

1. Tom says:

Beautiful Marilyn.
    An absolute delight to see the finished chest.
    Congratulations
    Tom

2. orepass says:

It’s really striking in its final home. The green of the porch really allows the chest to stand out. Very inspirational.

Marilyn, that is marvelous.
    Love its home on your front porch.
    I’d definitely come to your door on Halloween.
    So inviting.

4. Jose Santiago says:

Wow. That look greataculous!!! Love the piece. Keep them coming.

5. Marilyn,

I just recently started following your blog. I’ve been missing out! Well done.

6. Jeremy says:

Very nice work! Is there any cut nail concern regarding rust? Maybe that’s not a concern if they also were covered with oil. That wood has some amazing figure.

WOW. Speechless. You totally nailed it Marilyn, nice!

Still, the milk paint would have been, um, provocative.

I was curious what is in “teak oil” (and struggled to imagine pressing the oils out of a piece of Teak) , so I did a bit of googling:

From the MSDS (http://apps.risd.edu/envirohealth_msds/MetcalfStore/WatcoTeakOil.pdf) it’s a blend of petroleum distillate (white gas essentially), naphtha and linseed oil, plus a cobalt drier.

Thanks all!

The nail are painted so I’d be a bit surprised if they rust, But I’ll be keeping a close eye on it.

And tombuhl all trick or treaters are welcome! 😀

9. Marilyn,

You should be so proud. The mouldings are crisp and beautiful, the grain selection is perfection. You really have made something you can be proud of, it’s gorgeous.

Pete

10. Wow just wow! How did the big reveal go for your partner?

Thanks! And thanks for being part of it all.

The client 😉 was thrilled and quit surprised. It was pretty hard keeping it a secret, but it was worth it.

11. BarbS says:

Ah, Marilyn.. just gorgeous. You’ll enjoy looking at that for many years! Congratulations.

12. Very nice. The teak oil makes the grain pop.

13. That’s just the kind of figured wood that you can lose yourself in. Well done Marilyn!

14. This should be made into a woodworking Meme. ERMAHGERD THA PREDDY FIGURD WERD! Looks fantastic- wish I had one like it.

15. Pingback: Linkage: July 30th, 2013 to August 8th, 2013 | ben lowery

16. Simply awesome Marilyn. I’ll be referencing this build when I get around to my six board chest.