Topless Dutch Tool Chest with Finish

The chubby blue dutch boy!

The chubby blue dutch boy!

Yes, still not top, but I’ve finished the case.  And no worries, I have enough finish to do the top.  I’ve been waiting on hinges before I complete the top and paint it.

Milk Paint Finish with Boiled Linseed oil on top.

This entry was posted in Dutch Tool Chest, finish, hand beader and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Topless Dutch Tool Chest with Finish

Marilyn, that is stunning. Love the copper nails with blue milk paint. What is the purpose of BLO over the milk paint? Well done, girl.

The milk paint was too light and chalky without it. The BLO darkened it quit a bit and gave it a nice sheen. I’ll take some shots of the top before I oil it.

2. sablebadger says:

Looking good! I’m getting ready to paint my tool chest too, and I like that finish look. How did you apply the blo? Rag? Brush?

And what brand paint is that?

And while I’m pestering you with questions, where did you the nails? 🙂

We should lunch again!

Yes! We should! Ok, Milk paint: http://www.milkpaint.com/about_art-fw.html. His explanation of why oil: OIL OVERCOAT HOLDS EVERYTHING DOWN

“An oil overcoat has two purposes. First, it pulls the whole finish together and gives it a darker but deeper rich color and luster. Second, it protects the finish from spills that can cause spots on raw milk paint.”

I followed his instructions and used a cheap natural bristle brush.

Copper nails .. I got them at the Port Townsend Maritime Center store. Tim Lawson gave me the idea.

3. And where did you source the handles, Marilyn?

4. VERY nice, Marilyn! Tom is right. The copper nails are gorgeous.

5. I LOVE that chest. The nails just look wonderful on this piece.

If I can add to the information, I did BLO with beeswax desolved in it over my tool chest, and it is unbelievable what a tough surface it gives the paint. It really hardened, at least in my case, to a hard shell over the paint.

Marilyn, this is just a wonderful piece, don’t hide this under you bench!!!

Thank ya’ll! For the kind words.

That’s great information. I read mention of wax with the BLO but no explanation of how to do it. What a great idea.

I suspect the chest won’t hide under the bench much. The best place for it is out with the lid open while I’m workin’ on a project. 😀

Wow, that’s just *stunning* Marilyn. The coper nails against the blue milk paint are perfect. It’s a great detail.

I have to echo the suggestion of using wax+oil. I used “Tried and True” oil+wax finish on a milk painted project. That finish is beeswax dissolved in pure linseed oil without chemical driers. It’s food safe, and hardens very nicely. Two coats of milk paint, sanding with 320 or 400, then topcoating with two coats of this oil/wax mix worked really well for me.

7. Nailed it! I couldn’t resist…sorry.

In all seriousness, it looks amazing. What happens to the copper over time? Will it patina into a green color? Is there any concerns about staining?

I’m thinking this is great for a six board chest.

Great work Marilyn.

LOL! 😀 And thanks so much.

Yes, I’m sure the nails won’t always be so bright and shiny, but I think the final color will still go nicely with the blue color which I think will also hid any staining.

8. Chris says:

Where did you get those hinges? Look nice

9. Chris says:

Where did you get those hinges? I’ve been looking for some like this