Final Pictures of the Wall Cabinet

Makin’ the panels look good and a sneek peek.

I went back and forth today about whether to use the sander or plane to clean up the panels. Stupid tear out.  I ended up scccrraaapin’.  After all, folks pay a lot of money for hand scrrrapped floors?  BTW, love my little Lie Nielsen scraper for exactly this reason.  🙂

I put mineral spirits on the panels to check progress and see if I was eliminated the tear out. Wanna sneak peek of what it’ll look like with finish??

Startin’ on the Doors

Sunday, I un-clamped the wall cabinet .. and it stayed together.  Confession, I was a little worried about the epoxy.  When I went to bed Saturday night, it hadn’t yet harden.

So onward with the doors.  I trimmed up the styles with hand saw, this was a first.

 Then I cleaned the rails board and trimmed it to length.

After that, I couldn’t help myself.  I pulled out the panels for the door to get a sneak peak at how they’re going to look.

Cabinet Glue Up and Styles

Yippee!  I got the cabinet glued up.  That’s a big milestone.  I used some very slow setting epoxy and was really happy I did.  Lots of things to get in place on this one and I needed all the time I could get.

Then I started working on the board that I’ll be cut the styles from.  A lot times the planner makes a ribbed surface which is not so flat.  So I had to clean it up with my 50 degree planer blade to avoid tear out. 

It cleaned up nicely.  The African Mahogany is proving tricky to work with.  But using my high angle plane blade and a scraper plane, I’ve been able to get rid of almost all of the tear out.

I’ve also been checking the surface by spreading mineral spirits on it to see how it will finish and remove any problem areas.

So I cut my styles and made a styles sandwich with the fixing to remove the saw blade marks.