I worked on the corrugated jointer. I decided to replace the blade to eliminated chatter and make for a better cut. First, I needed to open the mouth just a tiny bit more to allow the thicker blade to fit through the mouth.
Surprise, surprise .. I found that the mouth was a bit crooked. (Perhaps that’ll inspire a name for this plane – cock-eyed corgi?).
So I used my file to adjust and about a 1/32″ wider opening.
This was better. But I had to do a little bit more work once the blade was in.
So after some sanding on the bottom and sides to do a little flattening and rust removal, I worked on the frog. Once I flattened the areas on the frog, I put sticky sandpaper on the newly flatten surfaces and flattened the mating surface on the plane base.
Here are a couple of shots of the whole plane after I worked on it. I started at 100 grit, went down several grits down and did a final polish with some 600 wet dry I had laying around.
Then I did my first test run. I got crumpled shavings and a lot of chatter on the first pass.
So I pulled out the blade and chip breaker to see if I could see light between them and sure enough, I still had some light peeking through. I took the chip breaker, clamped it up in my honeing guide and made some more passes over the sand paper.
This time I got nice ribbon shavings and a lot less chatter. I might need to work with the chip beaker some more to get all the chatter out .. we’ll see on I get my workbench back in operation.
I added a shot of the honing guide set to 35 degrees. I used this to get an even edge to mate with the blade.
Here’s a good summary video if you don’t want to buy a dvd (thanks Tico Vogt!):
Today, I went down to Puget Sound Coatings and, for an extremely reasonable price, they bead blasted a jointer plane that was given to me recently (thanks Mike!). I masted all the surfaces that needed to stay flat with Gorilla Tape and they popped it into their cabinet. These guys were incredibly gracious and I thanked them profusely. This is how it looked … nake-id!
Then I took it out to the paint booth (the card board box I got out the the Auto Parts shop recycle bin) and put on some gloss engine black.
This is how it looks now. I’ll be flattening sides and bottom and will sharpen up the blade to see how she runs. I’ll be turning this into my dedicated jointer so it many not need a replacement blade.
Oh .. and I squeezed in a little work on the work bench too. More on that tomorrow.
I spent a part of Saturday cleaning up an old Stanley #6 that I bought from Josh at HyperKitten. After it was retrofitted with a new blade and all cleaned up I tried it out on some curly cherry that I bought from Hardwoods to Go. This board was handpicked by Shannon Roger as part of the new business endeavor at J. Gibson McIlvain.
I see some very cool door panels in my future. Thanks Shannon!