Yipppee! .. I started working on the joinery! (No more milling) Here’s a few shots of the progress.
You can right click on a photo and open in a new tab to get an enlarged picture.
I just got my February 2013 Fine Woodworking magazine and they were talking about fitting tenons. It was a good article, but I do something a little different (not necessarily better) at least for the tenon cheeks. Their fitting involves using a shoulder plane for the shoulder and a skewed rabbet plane for the cheeks.
Chris Schwarz talks about it a bit here (since I can’t share the FW article).
So for what it’s worth, here’s the way I do it.
Woodworking is a ton of fun for me .. most of the time. 😀 The introduction of hand tools and the band saw to what I do has made it even more fun. Not sure I can really explain it, but there’s something about using an old tool or old technique that really makes my socks roll up and down. Perhaps its about being connected with the past and gaining an appreciation for the work that goes into making something. I don’t know.
Anyway, I’ve been trickin’ out my tool cabinet (finally!) with door tool holding racks. (No, I’m not procrastinating about the desk, I’m organizing the shop before the next big project .. OK, maybe a little. 😉 )
Here’s some of what I’ve done.
You can right click on the pictures if you’d like to see a bigger version.
Back to the workbench! (yippee!) First the layout, of course.
After cutting the overall shape on the band saw, I used my newly installed leg vise to start the final shaping. First using the spoke shave to get out the unevenness created by the bandsaw blade.
There was a nasty knot right in the middle of both sides, but my small scraper did a really nice job of cleaning it up.
After that it was on to the rasp. (Commentary: I discovered rasps when I made a handsaw in Mike Wenzloff’s class and I’ve found them incredibly useful.)
The final product prior to pencil line removal.
I cut out the shape for the wine bottles to rest in and then used my rasps to clean up the shape.
Then on to the glue up. This was a relatively easy glue up.