Desk .. Done .. Thank Goodness!

I finally finished the desk and breathed a sigh of relief that it turned out OK.  It was certainly a project that challenged me and certainly elevated my woodworking skills. 

It was not, however, my favorite project.  I followed plan which was actually overly complicated and had some confusing mistakes. That was a big part of problem (I’m talking to you Fine Woodworking).  Marc over at the Wood Whisperer help me simplify things and got me off of dead center.  AND … the project also took me waaay longer than I thought it would. I’ve been itching to move on.  Anyway, its all done!  Curly Cherry from Hardwood to Go.

Glamour Shots!

wrap around feet (1 of 2)
Curly cherry drawer fronts and doors.

The pull out key board is drying in the garage and I still need one more knob for the doors.  But, at least for this weekend, there’s no more time to work on it.  Finish is Daly’s Profin over one coat of shellac.

Here’s a post on how Marc helped me simplfy the project – Getting help and simplifying

All posts associated with this project are here under the Desk Project Tab.

Desk pull out work surface, bread board ends and draw bored pegs

 

Above are all the steps I used to make the pull out work surface for the desk.  Next I’ll make the three drawers that will sit in the cabinet and then I’ll be finished with the case.

Fitting the doors and adding hinges

I used Marc Spagnuolo plywood wall cabinet no mortise hinge installation video as a guide for what I ended up doing.  I tried to photograph most of the steps.  

I was able to use the hinges to create even space around all door edges.

Then I cut two different spacers.  One spacer placed the hinges at the same location on the doors (in line with the rails).  Then I cut a second spacer that was a hinge space taller to place the hinge on the case side.  This ensured that the door doesn’t drag on the case bottom and left a hinge width space.

As usual, you can right click on the pictures to see them in larger size.