2014, the TV Lift Cabinet and Glamour Shots

Name year

The TV Lift cabinet is finally finished and its hard not to reflect on the year it has taken me to finish this project.  Its been an interesting year.  No doubt this project would have taken longer than normal for me to complete, but around the first of the year, my knee blew up  and I was out of the shop for a couple of months trying to sort out what was wrong and rehabbing it.  In the midst of that, my spouse’s mother lost her fight with cancer and passed away at the end of January.

We had a glorious summer here but my knee issues prevented me from hiking which is usually a major component of our summer.  I was, however, able to get back into the shop and make progress on the cabinet.

Finally, in October, my father passed away after a many year struggle with Parkinson’s.  Since I was so late to woodworking my Dad never really got to see or understand what I was doing.  His Parkinson’s trapped him in Texas and inhibited his ability to enjoy with my my new found passion.  I will miss him and wish,  as I often do, that I had started woodworking sooner.  It would have been a wonderful thing to share with him.

So here are the glamour shots of the TV Lift cabinet.  I’m very excited to have this in place and doing what it was designed to do.

Click on the picture to see it in action.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4SXFzDaIvsRTlUbW50N3FBMlJtOUtuZ2FpUUcwaUhwU2c4/view?usp=sharing

glamor shot

Information on the lift mechanism and the plan for this cabinet:

TV LIFT Cabinet Information

Finish: Daly’s Profin

Doors and hinge installation

Today I worked on my resawn panels, cleaned them up and put the panels into the frame.  AND THEN .. I installed one set of the hinges.  I’ve never installed “euro hinges”, so I wasn’t sure how it would turn out.  Check out the video at the end to see how I did.  

I’ll post more tomorrow on how I did the hinge installation on the second door.

Resawing the door panels

I got a chance to take my Robou saw out for a ride.  First I tried it out on a couple of practice  boards.  The first step was to use my kerfing plane to create a nice deep kerf for the saw to track in.

The saw takes some getting used to and it worked best for the board to be in the vise at the side of the workbench instead of the end of the bench.  Sawing will push the bench around if there isn’t enough weight.

After a couple of practice runs, I was able to saw the panel for the door in half.  Its beautiful cherry panel and I can’t wait to see it in the door.  And the resaw was way less stressful than doing it on the bandsaw.

Bedside table drawer done

I finally finished up the drawer for my bedside table.  I’ll be working on the TV lift table but progress and blogging will be sparse.  I’m dealing with a medical issue (my knee) that’s going to make it difficult to do much woodworking for the next few months .. at least. 

Anyway, final shots of the Bedside Table:

Somethings just can’t wait ..

Don’t know if you remember this shot, but obviously, I need a bedside table. 

current night stand (1 of 1)

So here it is .. with out the drawer.  I’ll make the drawer some time this week and post a final glamour shot.  But I wasted no time putting it to use and I’m very happy to have it.  The nice curly cherry if used for the door is a hand picked board from Hardwood To Go (Shannon Rogers). 

Finish is shellac under Daly’s Pro Fin.